Founded by Botolph in 654 AD it had one of the highest towers in Medieval England, standing at approximately 272 ft high. On a clear day it could be seen from East Anglia on the other side of the Wash. Boston is derived from the name 'Botolphs Town.There is archaeological evidence that there was a small Norman Church previously on this site.
The existing church was begun in 1309 and was completed in 1510/20. The tower is topped with a highly decorated octagonal lantern ringed with pinnacles. Up until the 19th century it had the tallest roof of a religious or secular building in the world.