The Forge itself dates back to the 1700's, built on banks of the River Welland to service the boats. Spalding at that time was a busy port.
Chain bridge gets its name from the bridge that used to go over River Welland. The buildings themselves have hardly changed. Geoff's Grandfather had learnt his trade in Heckington and then went to Newmarket to shoe race horses. Having saved enough he bouth the forge for the princely sum of £280 in 1898.
He was also the last Harbour Master and managed the bridge. He was paid every time it was opened. Three generations of his family have worked the forge.
In 2007 Geoff Taylor came to visit and as a volunteer became involved with the Forge. Between them they persuaded the Council to turn it into a living museum.
Today Chain Bridge Forge is the only remaining Blacksmith's workshop in Spalding.
Q - How did the horshoe become to be known as a sign of good luck?
A - A Blacksmith called Dunstan was approached by a man who wanted horseshoes put on his feet. Dunstan recognised him to be Satan. He shackled Satan to the wall and caused him so much pain that the man begged for mercy. Dunstan refused to release him until he promised never to enter a house where a horseshoe hung over the door.
Dunstan became Archbishop of Canterbury in AD 959